"Pioneer Second" was built in 1893 as a 12 wheeled second class clerestory roofed corridor with end-loading platforms and side swing doors. Originally classified as "BB" class it carried the name Pioneer after 1896 on the letterboard. It contained nine compartments, each with a sliding door to an enclosed corridor and a swing door to the outside.
In 1921 it was recoded "13 BL", with a capacity of 72.
In 1942 internally altered for use as the administrative car on a 14 car military hospital train. Accomodation was provided for dispensary, medical store, office, waiting room, linen store and two kitchen stores.
Reconverted for passenger traffic in 1948 and used on Wirth Circus Trains between 1954 and 1962.
Restored in 1963 and renamed "Pioneer". The car is in possession of Steamrail Ballarat.
|6.9.1921||Recoded "13 BL".|
|2.2.1942||Altered internally for use as the administrative car on a military hospital train. Accomodation was provided for dispensary, medical store, office, waiting room, linen store and two kitchen stores.|
|1948||Reconverted for passenger traffic.|
|1954-62||Used on Wirth Circus Train.|
|21.7.63||Had first trip after being restored and named "Pioneer".|
|-||In possession of Steamrail Ballarat.|